Wire Cloth Terminology according to ISO 9044
Aperture width [w]
is the distance between two adjacent warp or weft wires, measured in the projected plane at the mid-positions.
Wire diameter [d]
is the diameter of the wire in the woven cloth. (The wire diameter may be altered slightly during the weaving process.)
is the distance between the middle point of two adjacent wires or the sum of the aperture width [w] and the wire diameter [d].
All wires running lengthwise of the cloth as woven.
All wires running across the cloth as woven.
The number of apertures per unit length [n]
is the number of aper- tures which are counted in a row one behind the other for a given unit length. The unit length may be 1 cm, 1 dm, Inch or any other unit of length. (The number of apertures with a length of 24.5 mm is designated as “Mesh”.)
Open screening area [A0]
The percentage of the area of all the apertures in the total screening surface or the ratio of square of the nominal aperture width w and the square of the nominal pitch p (= w + d), rounded to a full percentage value: Ao = 100.(w:p)2
Type of weave
is the way in which the warp and weft wires cross each other.
of the steel wire cloth screen section in kg per m2.
G = (12,7 x d2) : p
G = Mesh x d2 : 2
The actual value can be up to 3 % lower.
The wire diameter can be calculated using the following equation:
It is up to the user to specify the choice of material with respect to:
a) the final application of the wire cloth (e.g. resistance to environmental corrosion, suitability for food products etc.)
b) the further processing (e.g. suitability for shaping, welding and surface treatment).
Materials should be designated in accordance with appropriate standards, or if none exists, according to commercial specifications.
A standard roll is 25 or 30.5 m long, and half rolls are 12.5 m or 15 m long. The length of rolls may be + or - 10 %. The delivered length is the one invoiced.
A wire cloth roll my consist of a maximum of three roll pieces. The minimum length of a roll piece is 2.5 m.
For rolls and roll pieces, the width of the cloth shall not be less than the nominal width, but may be up to 2 % in excess.
Strips and cut-to-size-pieces
For strips, the width shall be specified. With orders of quantities of less than a standard roll, the length of individual strips may be reduced accordingly. For cut-to-size pieces, the sides, lengths, angles and radii shall be specified.
Woven wire cloth shall be labelled with the following informations:
- The name and the trademark of the manufacturer
- the material of the wire
- the nominal aperture width w
- the nominal wire diameter d
- the type of weave, if not plain
- the length and width of the roll or strip, or the size and number of pieces
- the weight (mass), if required.
If the cloth roll consists of several roll pieces, the length of each piece shall be indicated.
Woven wire cloth in strips or pieces shall be so labelled on the outer packing.
The length and weight of each rolled strip (coil) shall be specified subject to agreement.
Required Details for Wire Cloth Orders
- Quantity: number of pieces or rolls
- Dimensions: length and width or rolls
- Aperture width: w Mesh count (per linear inch) or number of meshes per cm2 may likewise be stated instead of the aperture width.
- Wire diameter: [d]
- Type of weave – if necessary
- Post weaving processing – if desired
- Shaped parts or filters: provide samples, sketches or drawings, preferably with permissible tolerances.
- Samples: should you have a sample of the wire cloth used previously, kindly send it to us. We shall then analyze the specification.
- Repeat orders: so as to furnish you with the correct material either let us have a roll-label or provide the exact technical data of the previous order.